Saturday, September 7, 2013

Grandparents' Day








Did you know that tomorrow is Grandparents' Day?  Did you even know that Grandparents' Day was a national holiday?  Grandparents' Day is "to honor grandparents, to give grandparents an opportunity to show love for their children's children, and to help children become aware of strength, information, and guidance older people can offer". It has been recognized in the United States since 1978 and is celebrated on the first Sunday following Labor Day.  There is even an official song, 'A Song for Grandma and Grandpa'.

I don't think I found out about Grandparents' Day until my son was 4 and that year I made scrapbooks for both of my parents. Embarrassingly, I don't think we have recognized or honored them on Grandparents' Day since.  One thing is for sure, my son's life would be very different without his grandparents.  His paternal grandparents live in Louisiana and he has a strong alliance to all things Louisiana, especially LSU and gumbo.  Given the geographic distance he only sees them a few times a year but they talk often.  My parents live here in the city and he enjoys doing various activities with them.  He and my mother share in a joy for gardening, food and both have a knack for making friends in a room full of strangers.  He and my father share a passion for golf, football and movies.

What do you and your children do to honor your and their grandparents?

No comments:

Post a Comment