Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March Monthly Service Project Part 1: Community Birthday Celebration






My birthday request was by asking people to volunteer for four hours during the month of March.  So how do you think I spent my birthday....yep, by volunteering. Every year I take off of work for my birthday to spend the day celebrating myself.  This year I spent the day having a spanish lesson, parent/teacher conference, massage & facial and then I threw a party.  Not just any party, but a party for the children that attend an after school program where I have volunteered a few times this year. What is a party without favor bags?!?!?  So I reached out to friends and family asking for donations to go in the swag bags and boy did they come through!!  A big thank you to the following people that donated items for the 36 swag bags and prizes that were given to each child:

- Donyell Aycock
- Alfreda Belton & Microsoft
- Lara Harris & Project L.I.F.T.
- Kevin Henry & Snyder's-Lance
- Warren Hollier
- Denada Jackson & Project L.I.F.T.
- Arden McLaughlin & Charlotte Public Library Foundation
- Cynthia Parker-Ham
- Beverly Spainhour
- Nancy Stroud
- Liz Thomas-Hollier
- Jada Wellman & WBTV

Everyday when they arrive at after school they have two writing assignments; one is a cursive writing exercise and the other a journal topic.  The executive director let me choose both items for the day and I chose the following:
Cursive Writing Exercise: 'I am unique because......'
Journal topic: 'Describe what you can do to help your community. Be specific!'

It was definitely a busy but very FOURfilling day.  Happy Birthday to me!! Who else is going to help me celebrate this month?!?!?






No comments:

Post a Comment